Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Myself = LHS , Maths = RHS .. LHS ≠ RHS .. QED

My relationship with mathematics can be compared to a broken relationship between two lovers of whom one was genuine.

In my case , I must admit that I have not been genuine. However like most Human Beings I will shift the blame to the other person.I will re draft the above sentence.

I was not genuine with Maths because Maths was not genuine with me. (As simple as it is!)

I was good at maths once upon a time.. I was seriously good during my primary. Do not laugh. I consider primary mathematics much more logical and tougher than the bull shit they teach as maths at the secondary and senior secondary level.

I'll Explain.

I had and still have problems with only four topics in mathematics.( Tat too only at senior secondary level).

1. Algebra.
2. Trigonometry.
3. Differential Calculus.
4. Integral Calculus.

(Though some may say that the entire maths syllabus is the above four topics ).

Lets first take Algebra for example.

No Book , No Teacher during my school days said to me that Algebra is actually simple geometry!!!. It took 3 years after schooling to actually understand (though accidentally ! ) that algebra was in fact an extension of basic geometry.

How many of you know that Algebra is actually a branch of mathematics concerning the study of structure, relation, and quantity.(Structure , Relation and Quantity is basically part of Geometry).

Did anyone explain to me
a) What is Structure ?
b) What is Relation ?
c) What is quantity ?

All that they wanted me to know was (a+b)^2= a^2 +b^2 + 2ab

I Knew it . But Did I Learn it ?.NO.


Next is Trigonometry.


Trigonometry is supposed to be the simplest of all subjects.
My friend said to me (after the exam, when everything was over) that Trigonometry deals only with Triangles , nothing else and it is in fact easy.

The less said about the way I was taught trigonometry , the better.

My Physics teacher during class 9 , Mrs Tanuja Krishnan wanted her students to wish her every day not by saying Good Morning but by saying .

0 1 0 1/2 root3/2 1/root3 1/root2 1/root2 1 root3/2 1/2 root3 1 0 infinity.

The above are the SIN , COS , TAN Values of 0 , 30 , 45 , 60 and 90 degrees.

I Knew it . I Still Remember it . But Did I Learn it? NO.


Next is Differential Calculus.

I wont blame the way it was taught to me. However I still find it illogical.

According to Wikipedia , Differential calculus, a field in mathematics, is the study of how functions change when their inputs change. The primary object of study in differential calculus is the derivative. A closely related notion is the differential. The derivative of a function at a chosen input value describes the behavior of the function near that input value.The process of finding a derivative is called differentiation.

The Best and favorite part of differential calculus is The First Principles. It tells us how a element gets its differential value. But it is hardly dealt with in class.How to approach a solution was only taught and that too using some weird assumptions. The moment assumptions come , the subject loses its charm . I lost it completely.

Sin X becomes Cos X. But Cos X becomes -SinX. Its weird. I was too lazy to find out why.

The similar thing happened with Integral calculus. I Never understood it because , I never understood what Differentiation was. I never understood differentiation because , I never understood what limits and continuity were. I never understood limits and continuity because I never understood what a function was.The list goes on and on..

So as far as Calculus goes ..

I Never Knew it . I Never Learnt it. I Will Never learn it.

Some of the other things that drew me away from maths are the following.

--> People have tried teaching me maths. No one succeeded.
--> Its not a self study subject too. Oru dashum puriyaadu.
--> One topic can knock you down. Like Complex Numbers in Class XI.
--> You easily forget.
--> It requires brains .. sorry .. I have got none..
--> It requires Patience.. Never have I had it.
--> I went to tuition classes.( It was like Operation Successful , Patient Died )
I understood but I was stripped of my confidence.

I only scored 59 out of 100 in my Class XII Maths Paper. I am Proud of it. I only know the kind of effort gone into getting that mark.

Somebody asked me during my school days as to why I had developed some kind of 'Love-Hate' Relationship with Mathematics. I was quick to correct him .
Between Maths and Myself its always only 'Hate' relationship. And...

It will remain to be so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.